Are you looking for an exciting outdoor adventure? Look no further than Quabbin Reservoir! With its breathtaking views and serene waters, Quabbin Reservoir is the perfect destination for boating enthusiasts. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or just looking to relax on the water, Quabbin Reservoir offers a variety of boat rental options to suit your needs.
Hours of Operation
You’ll be pleased to know that the boat launch areas at Quabbin Reservoir are open seven days a week, from 6:00 a.m. until closing. The closing times for the 2023 season are as follows:
- April 15 – May 6 at 8 p.m.
- May 7 – July 22 at 8:30 p.m.
- July 23 – August 12 at 8 p.m.
- August 13 – September 2 at 7:30 p.m.
- September 3 – October 21 at 6:30 p.m.
Please note that all boat launch areas are open seven days a week for the season. If you’re planning to rent a boat, it’s important to arrive at least 1½ hours before closing time. Don’t worry about oars and gas, as they are provided for each boat rental. However, we encourage you to bring your own Coast Guard approved wearable Personal Flotation Device (PFD) for everyone on board. Rest assured, if you forget to bring your PFD, we have life jackets available for your convenience.
Boat Launch Fees
Parking for your vehicle and trailer includes all launching fees. Starting in the 2022 season, we only accept credit cards (debit card, Master Card, Visa, or Discover) at the three boat launch areas. Unfortunately, American Express is not accepted.
Quabbin Fishing Season Parking Pass
If fishing is your passion, you’ll be delighted to know about the Quabbin Fishing Season Parking Pass. This pass is valid from the start of the Quabbin fishing season until it closes. To purchase a 2023 Quabbin Fishing Season Parking Pass, you can click here.
Please note that Quabbin fishing season passes are only available for purchase through the DCR website. The option to fill out paper season pass forms and purchase season passes using cash is no longer available. We strongly encourage customers to make their purchase before arriving at a Boat Launch Area. However, if you forget to purchase a season pass, you can still buy one onsite using your personal smart phone. Rest assured, we also sell single day parking passes, fishing licenses, and boat rentals at the Quabbin Boat Launch Areas.
To Rent a Boat
Renting a boat at Quabbin Reservoir is easy and convenient. Here are a few things you need to know:
- You must be 16 years or older.
- You must have a valid MA fishing/sporting license (or a Quabbin Fishing License) along with fishing tackle.
- Rental boat capacity is determined by the Boat Launch Area attendant’s discretion based on the total occupants’ weight.
- The maximum capacity per boat is three adults (16 years old or older), or two adults and two children (less than 16 years old), or one adult and three children (less than 16 years old).
- Please be aware that boat rentals are on a first-come, first-serve basis. You can check available rental boats at the three Boat Launch Areas here. However, please note that this information does not guarantee boat availability when you arrive.
- Boat rentals may be suspended at any time due to unsafe water conditions caused by high winds, storms, or other weather events. We highly recommend calling the Visitor Center at (413) 323-7221 before your visit if there are forecasted high winds or predicted strong storms.
- Starting in the 2022 season, we only accept credit cards (debit card, Master Card, Visa, or Discover) as payment.
- Rentals before 12:30 p.m. are charged the full-day rate.
- You can find Quabbin Boat Rental Application forms at the Boat Launch Areas.
Please note that damage to or littering in rental boats may result in a loss of fishing privileges or damage charges, or both. Additionally, it is mandatory to wear a life jacket when out on a boat. We strongly encourage all customers to bring their own Coast Guard approved wearable Personal Flotation Device (PFD). However, if you forget to bring one, we have a limited number of life jackets available for your convenience. Please ensure you have the appropriate number of PFDs for everyone on board.
Required for Private Boats
If you’re planning to bring your own boat, here are a few requirements:
- You must have an intact DCR Quabbin Boat Seal.
- You must have a valid MA Fishing/Sporting License or a Quabbin Fishing License along with fishing tackle.
- Chock blocks must be used on vehicles when launching or removing the boat from the reservoir.
- Rubber boots are required when launching and removing the boat from the reservoir.
- Safety equipment must be in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard Regulations.
- The maximum capacity for private boats is four people.
Outboard Motor Size Limits
For rental boats, the maximum limit for outboard motors is 10 horsepower (hp). Private boats must have an intact Quabbin Boat Seal before use. The limits for two-stroke and four-stroke engines are as follows:
- Two-stroke engines: Private boats with 2-stroke engines are limited to ½ the Boating Industries of America (BIA) or Outboard Boating Council (OBC) hp rating of the boat, up to a maximum of 20 hp.
- Four-stroke engines: Private boats with 4-stroke engines are limited to ½ the BIA or OBC hp rating. Private boats with 4-stroke engines 40 hp or larger are limited to a maximum of 25 hp.
- Private boats may use two motors as long as the total does not exceed the hp limits. If the hp exceeds the limits, the propeller on the larger motor needs to be removed. The combined total for four-stroke and two-stroke engines may not exceed 20 hp.
Canoe and Kayak Rentals
Please note that private canoe and kayak access to Quabbin Reservoir is not allowed due to concerns with the introduction of aquatic invasive species. However, we do have a limited number of canoes and kayaks available for rent for fishing purposes. These rentals are on a first-come, first-serve basis at Boat Launch Areas #2 and #3, and are only allowed on the regulating ponds in these areas. Canoe and kayak rentals are available from May 15 to September 15.
It’s important to have a Fishing/Sporting License or a Quabbin Fishing License when renting boats. Additionally, all boating regulations for Quabbin Reservoir apply to canoes and kayaks as well. Please remember to bring a Coast Guard approved wearable Personal Flotation Device (PFD) for each person on board. We have a limited number of life jackets available, but we recommend bringing your own to ensure everyone’s safety.
Plan your visit to Quabbin Reservoir today and have a memorable boating experience. For more information about Ambassadeur Hotel, click here.